Sunday, August 10, 2008

Night time flowers

I was in the garden the other night, just poking around, looking at the bugs that were working for me in the slightly cooler temps and I noticed that the Daturas had decided to bloom again. The whole of the plant looked quite pathetic but the blooms were as gorgeous as ever. The aroma was heavenly and had that whole corner of the garden infused in nasal delight. I just had to take pictures.


Some were completely open and others were just opening up.


You can see in the background that the leaves are perky and standing out well. The next morning at around 10:00 the plant looked almost like it wouldn't make the day as the heat had already climbed.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great night photos. And it's amazing how the plants can look so ghastly during the day and recover at night...at least I hope yours recovered!

Bob said...

I think it's going to make it, Bonnie. But it is just wrong when your garden looks better at night than in the day.

katina said...

Nifty night photos...I really like the one of the flower still closed.

I think our neighbors have this plant in front of their house...but I noticed the other day that they cut off all the flowers.

Lori said...

This is the first year I've grown datura, and I'm in love. I've seen more bees and moths around these flowers than anywhere else in my entire yard. And the scent! There are six daturas that have been flowering in my front yard for the past month and at night and early in the morning, the scent is strong enough to stop you in your tracks. I guess I'll be saving some seeds for the back yard next year!

And great night photography! I haven't had much luck getting pictures to turn out in the low light.

Gail said...

What a beautiful photograph of the datura before it opened...such a lovely star and perfect that it shines at night!

Gail

Bob said...

Daturas are beautiful but we need to remember that they are the most poisonous orally ingested native plant. With children, especially, care must be taken. There are instances of children putting the blooms to their mouths to blow them like trumpets and having fatal and near fatal results.

Anonymous said...

Bob, your night shots make me feel like I'm walking through a romantic, muggy but cool garden at night, maybe something in the deep south or the Garden District in New Orleans. Or I'm just hallucinating because of the drought that is determined not to break...
thanks for the gorgeous pics!
Robin at Getting Grounded